HaFF – halophytes and other macrophytes for the filtration of nutrient-contaminated waste and surface water in field culture
Dipl. Biol. Martina Mühl
Land-based aquaculture systems with marine species have so far been complex and cost-intensive due to the high technical effort involved in wastewater treatment. The use of flow through systems with seawater or salty groundwater requires efficient purification of the wastewater produced, for which there are no conclusive concepts as yet.
Halophytes (salt plants) are used to develop a wastewater treatment plant for salty wastewater because they can help reduce nutrients and contain promising nutritional ingredients.
At two locations, the Kiel aquaculture operations “Förde-Garnelen” and “Kieler Meeresfarm”, various halophytes are used in order to developed stationary or transportable bio-filter systems. The third project location is in the heavily eutrophicated and less saline waters of the inner coastal waters of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. Here, floating islands made of fully biodegradable and regionally produced plant materials are intended to form the habitat for various marsh and medicinal plants that absorb dissolved nutrients such as nitrogen and phosphorus compounds and contribute in many ways to improving the water quality.
Task of CRM
• Project coordination
• Conceptual design of the salt water herbal sewage treatment plant
• Organization of monitoring to check success and preparation of a nutrient balance
• Product formulation
• Development of recycling concepts for halophytes,
• Evaluation of ecosystem services and public relations
• Dipl.-Biol. Martina Mühl
• Dr. Sven Petersen
• Dipl.-Biol. Verena Sandow
BMBF – German Federal Ministry of Research and Education within the framework of the innovation area “BamS – Bioeconomy in marine locations”
May 2020 to April 2022
- EUCC-D–Die Küsten Union Deutschland e.V.
- Fraunhofer Einrichtung für Marine Biotechnologie und Zelltechnik EMB
- Hanffaser Uckermark eG
- Kieler Meeresfarm GmbH
- N.A.T. GbR Ingenieurökologisches Planungsbüro
- Re-natur GmbH